Wednesday 23 January 2013

Confusion at partition maintenance

Here an anecdote rather than a hint, but sometimes helps ;-). Once I have read about our "built-in" inability to find own errors and this is exactly about such case.

Lately I tried to add a new partition for 2013 year to some table. It was subpartitioned, so the syntax little more complex (below - please note, this is with error).
alter table schema1.tab1
add partition p1301 VALUES less than (201302) TABLESPACE tbs1 (
SUBPARTITION p1301_1 VALUES(1), 
SUBPARTITION p1301_2 VALUES(2),
SUBPARTITION p1301_3 VALUES(3), 
SUBPARTITION p1301_4 VALUES(4)));
I constructed the statement and tried to execute. But on and on I have got the same error:
ORA-14048: a partition maintenance operation may not be combined with other operations
. And it was not as complex as I may miss an additional operation. So I stuck. After several minutes I ask a colleague of mine for help. He came to me and I have explained him the issue. At the same moment I realize what was wrong - additional parenthesis.
If it would be missing, the error message would be correct
ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis
but with additional parenthesis the statement syntax suggests to the RDBMS something completely different, thus returning more enigmatic error, which in turn puzzled the RDBMS user - in this case me.

1 comment:

The Light In Chains said...

This was my error also! And you the only answer that applied.